How to join Taekwon-Do?
Interested in learning Taekwon-do? Click here to see all our schools in British Columbia.
Of course, you are more than welcome to simply turn up at any of our school locations, watch and/or try a class and have a chat with the Instructor. The best way however, is to contact the school first so that the instructor can confirm the class hours and other information with you.
We hope to see you in one of our classes soon!
A Small World
Due to advances in transportation, communications, and information technology, the world has become a smaller place and thus, no one is expected to stay where they grew up for the rest of their lives. As the name implies, International Taekwon-do Federation schools are scattered not only in BC or Canada, but all over the world. A student of ITF Taekwon-do need not worry about the continuity of his/her studies since each and everyone of these ITF member schools follow the same principles and teachings of Taekwon-do as handed down by it's founder, Gen. Choi Hong Hi.
The CTFI or the Canadian Taekwon-do Federation International is the National governing body for ITF Taekwon-do in Canada. Membership in one of our schools automatically gives you membership to the CTFI and ultimately, the ITF. Following are some of the highlights or benefits to membership in the organization. Anyone who becomes a member will receive:
- Instruction in the Original Art of Taekwon-Do created by General Choi Hong Hi
- Membership with the International Taekwon-Do Federation www.tkd-itf.org
- Semi-annual and annual Technical, Rreferee and Umpire trainings
- Local, Provincial, National and International Tournaments
- The opportunity to attend CTFI-sponsored activities such as Special Trainings and special practices led by senior black belts
- Continuing guidance – via personal training, email and web site communication – on interpreting, applying and integrating the instructional material in the condensed encyclopedia of Taekwon-Do (5th edition, 1999) by General Choi Hong Hi.
- Access to the CTFI and ITF website for news on current activities in Canada and international affiliates, schedule of events, monthly training calendar, and articles and resources related to Taekwon-Do
- The opportunity to be ranked at Gup (white and black stripe ranking) tests.
- The opportunity to be ranked at Dan (black belt ranking) tests. Furthermore, at CTFI Dan tests, each candidate is carefully judged and graded by senior members of the organization, according to the standards handed down through General Choi Hong Hi.
Most importantly, CTFI membership puts the practitioner in line with the direct lineage handed down by General Choi Hong Hi. Because of his life-long dedication and personal investment in so many of the black belts, other martial arts organizations find it difficult to compare with the CTFI's rich heritage, depth, consistency, and its commitment to pass the martial art of Taekwon-Do, unchanged, to future generations. *
* Taken from CTFI website http:// www.ctfi.org.